An oral cancer screening is a visual and physical exam of the oral cavity and connected tissues. It can reassure a patient that there are no apparent problems, or trigger early treatment if there are. If not diagnosed and treated early, oral cancer can be life threatening. At Columbia River Dentistry in Vancouver, Washington, we offer oral cancer screenings during your routine dental checkup. The following are some common symptoms of oral cancer:
- Swellings, lumps, or rough spots on the lips, gums, or inside the mouth
- Velvety white, red, or speckled patches in the mouth
- Bleeding in the mouth for unknown reasons
- Numbness or pain in the face, mouth, or neck
- Sores on the face, neck, or mouth that bleed easily and will not go away
- A feeling life there is something stuck in the throat
- Difficulty eating, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
- Chronic sore throat or hoarseness
- Ear pain
- A change in your bite
- Dramatic weight loss
Our dentist will check for lumps and irregular tissues by feeling your neck, face, head, and oral cavity. Our dentist will also search for the signs and symptoms listed above.
Visit our dental office in Vancouver, Washington to get started and learn more about oral cancer screenings today!