Cancer is the unnatural growth of cells that damage the surrounding tissues. Oral cancer can occur in the lips, tongue, cheeks, floor of the mouth, hard palate, soft palate, sinuses, or throat. This disease is life threatening if it is not diagnosed and treated early. The following are common symptoms of oral cancer:
- Swellings, lumps, or rough spots on the lips, gums, or inside the mouth
- Velvety white, red, or speckled patches in the mouth
- Bleeding in the mouth for unknown reasons
- Numbness or pain in the face, mouth or neck
- Sores on the face, neck, or mouth that bleed easily and will not go away
- A feeling like there is something stuck in the throat
- Difficulty eating, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
- Chronic sore throat or hoarseness
- Ear pain
- A change in your bite
- Dramatic weight loss
During your next routine dental checkup, Dr. Nathan G. Dustin may screen for oral cancer in Portland, OR. Our dentist will feel for lumps or irregular tissue in your neck, face, head, or oral cavity. Our dentist will also check for the symptoms and signs listed above.
We encourage you to contact Columbia River Dentistry today to learn more and to schedule your next appointment.