Gum disease, which is also known as gingivitis, is a disease that attacks the gum tissues and bone that surround and support the teeth. The disease is caused by a buildup of plaque on your teeth and below the gums. If the gum disease is left untreated, it can lead to tooth loss.
Gingivitis is usually painless, so you may not realize that you have it. Columbia River Dentistry in Vancouver, Washington, will treat gingivitis if you experience any of the following:
- Gums that bleed when you brush and floss your teeth
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- Bad breath or bad taste that will not go away
- Gums that are pulling back from the teeth
- The formation of pockets between the teeth and the gums
- Loose or drifting permanent teeth
- Changes in your bite
Our dental team recommends extra professional teeth cleanings to patients that have gum disease. Our hygienist will clean all of your teeth of plaque and tartar. If this is not sufficient, our dentist may recommend a deep cleaning procedure called scaling and root planning. Your teeth will be cleaned of plaque all the way down to the roots. Schedule your appointment with our dentist to learn more about gum treatments in Vancouver, Washington.