Gingivitis is an infection that attacks the gums and bones that surround and support the teeth. It is caused by the buildup of plaque on the teeth, above and below the gums. If left untreated, gingivitis can cause the loss of permanent teeth. This disease is usually painless, so you may not know you have it. However, if you have any of the following symptoms, Columbia River Dentistry may treat gingivitis in Portland, OR:
- Gums that bleed when you brush and floss your teeth
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- Bad breath or a bad taste that will not go away
- Gums that are pulling back from the teeth
- The formation of pockets between the teeth and the gums
- Loose or drifting permanent teeth
- Changes in your bite
If you have gingivitis, our dentist may recommend extra professional teeth cleanings. Our hygienist will scrape the plaque and tartar from your teeth with a small, metal tool. In some cases, this is not sufficient, so our dentist will suggest scaling and root planing. During this deep cleaning procedure, our dentist will clean all of your teeth of plaque, above and below the gum line. The roots are then smoothed to make it difficult for plaque to adhere to them.
If you have any questions and want to learn more, please contact Columbia River Dentistry in Portland, OR today and schedule an appointment.